Thursday, July 28, 2011

“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things” - Robert Brault

I started off small, literally; the first person I asked was my son. I was curious if he’d even understand the question. He did of course. He said the one thing that really brought him joy was having a play date with his best friend. I was happy that the answer did not include one of his many game devices, and also nostalgic that a few years ago the answer would have been having a play date with me. He had the right idea though. What about a play date with my best friend,… well my best friend is my wife. I think my wife and I definitely need a date night and some “out of the house” fun but I work from home so it’s not like we don’t spend time together. My friends on the other hand I’ve seen less and less of over the past years.

I asked my mother-in-law next. Her top picks were fishing and gardening, two very meditative activities. Being such an introvert by nature I think I had undervalued these solo pursuits, but perhaps with no good reason. I thought I did plenty of stuff by myself so I should focus on more social activities instead, but I think back to my comics, my short stories and my sculptures,… those things did bring me joy. And more importantly, at least for me I enjoyed these activities all the more when the end product could be enjoyed by others.

[I discovered the title quote from a Flash movie I stumbled across: http://www.findingjoymovie.com/
its a bit ethereal but it does contain a few good nuggets]

No comments:

Post a Comment