Monday, July 25, 2011

"There happens to be a lot about me that you don't know, Mr. Smarty Man. There's plenty of joy in my life."

What is joy? Or more specifically what is it that fills your soul with joy. What is it that makes you happy? It should be a very easy question to answer but I find I’m at a loss to come up with a good solid list. I have my family, they bring me joy; hearing my daughter giggle, sharing a game with my son or being silly with my wife. These are all good answers to the question, so why pursue it any further?

When faced with this question recently it occurred to me that maybe my list was one sided, maybe my experience of joy is mostly second hand, receiving it from others. I’d always been attracted to people with a playful spirit and contagious happiness (who isn’t), but this topic originated with a deeper discussion with my wife where I discovered she had feelings of loneliness and more importantly joylessness, which is contrary to her nature. I started to realize that I wasn’t bringing any joy into the household. I could draw it from my family, but what was I giving back. What I needed was to be able to generate joy, to fill myself to the point that I could radiate that contagious happiness,… which, unfortunately is contrary to my nature.

And so, lacking natural optimism I set forth to discover how to find my joy,… by asking everyone else this very question; what brings you joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment